Saturday, November 5, 2022

Nikolai Karpitsky. November 5, 2022. Ukraine. Two hundred and fifty fifth day of war

The impression of the planned blackouts. Getting dark early, the house is cold. I’m wearing three sweaters and a hoodie. I don't notice the cold, as I'm immersed in work. Suddenly everything goes down, and I find myself cut off from the world. The darkness obduces me along with the cold. How long it will be like this, nobody knows. In summer there was no light for several days, but then it was warm and the nights were short. I could sunbathe and ride my bike. Now it's cold and damp at home, if you sweat, there's no place to dry and warm up, so riding a bike became problematic.

Now all I can do is to crawl under three blankets and wait. I feel like a bear in a den, it's dark and warm, but it's slowly getting colder outside. The only thing left to do is meditate. The consciousness sinks into a half-slumber and disperses, allowing me to think in several directions at a time, to ponder the various topics I was about to write on. Then, imperceptibly, I find myself on the other side of sleep, but not far from the reality of wakefulness, so that at any moment I can return. It would be nice to wait out this terrible winter that awaits us in this way. Like a bear. I wonder if bears are also dozing in the den, or are they completely out? Or maybe they live a brighter and more fulfilling life in the world of dreams.

Suddenly the light came on and I'm working on the computer again. There was no light for only three hours, fortunately, the temperature outside is above zero, you can live. It was just a warning about what awaits us in the winter. Iran entered the war on Russia's side, and we will be hit by Iranian ballistic missiles in winter. These are not primitive shaitan-mopeds, they are difficult to intercept. So this winter will be the hardest since World War II. With such terrorist tactics against civilians, Putin wants to force Ukraine to capitulate. But that is impossible. Better to freeze than to submit to a necrophile. I believe that no negotiations with Putin are acceptable. He is a criminal, and if we enter into negotiations with him, we thereby legitimize him as a state leader.

In order for Ukraine to hold out, it is necessary to hit back at missile launchers and military industry facilities. This requires missiles that will reach military facilities behind Russia's lines. People in Ukraine are now very angry and dream that in response to the destruction of the Ukrainian civilian infrastructure, the Russian one is destroyed as well. Like, an eye for an eye. Emotionally, I understand them, and I myself would like those of my acquaintances in Russia who support the attack on Ukraine to experience all that we are experiencing. However, Ukraine is a democratic state based on the rule of law and will never deliberately target civilian objects in compliance with the Geneva Conventions. Another thing is the military infrastructure in the rear of Russia, which is a legitimate military target. If Ukraine does not strike back, it will not be able to protect civilians from Russian missile terror. And to keep us from freezing in winter, we must convey this understanding to the Western public, because Ukraine is now protecting the entire West, so it has the right to count on the supply of missiles that will allow to protect its inhabitants.